23 March 2014

February Reading Recap

Yikes its almost the end of March & I'm just now doing my February Reading Recap.

Even though February was a short month, with the cold and snowy month we had here in Wisconsin I was able to finish two books.

The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom (5/5)

 I saw on a Pinterest list of book suggestions where someone said this book "changed their life".  To me that was is a pretty significant claim, so I had to check the book out.  The story follows the Ten Boom family during World War II.  Corrie, the daughter of a successful Watchmaker, becomes involved in the underground network to save Jews from the Nazis.  Unfortunately after saving many lives by getting them out of the country and finding safe homes, including hiding 6 people in a secret room in their own home, the Ten Boom family was caught.  Despite the hardships and pain ensuing from their capture, being split up, and their time in concentration camps, Corrie and her sister Betsie continue their quest to help others with kindness and sharing their faith.  This was a powerful and intense read, but the strength and the goodness in Corrie's heart shows how truly wonderful of a person she was. I recommend this to EVERYBODY!!

The Bungalow by Sarah Jio (4.5/5)

After the intense read of The Hiding Place, I wanted something lighter to read next.  I really really enjoyed The Violets of March: A Novel by Sarah Jio (probably one of my top 10 books of all time), so I was excited to read something else from her. This wasn't as light of a book as I was expecting, but nonetheless I liked it.  Anne, a young woman volunteers with her best friend Kitty to serve in the Army Nurse Corps based on the island of Bora Bora during World War II.  She meets and falls in love with a soldier, Westy, and the two discover a hidden Bungalow on the beach.  After Westy's troop is deployed for a mission, learning of violence against women on the base and witnessing a gruesome crime that alters their lives forever, Anne is determined to find the truth of what happened.

Once again, two good book choices although they were both a little intense.  Once it warms up (if Spring ever comes), I am looking forward to reading something a little more fun and lighter.  I'm always looking for new suggestions, have you read any "must reads" lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment