03 February 2014

January Reading Recap

One of my goals for 2014 (and I say goals not resolutions, because I think of it more as a goal), is to spend less time idle-ing around online and more time reading.  I love to read but somehow at night, I tend to just browse around on Facebook or Pinterest and I would like to do something more constructive.  So I want to read at least one book per month.

The types of books I like are light reading, nothing too stressful or scary or intense.  One thing I've noticed about reading, is I'm not one of those people who remembers the name of books or authors.  So I thought that writing about them on my blog would be a great way to keep track of my goal and also share my thoughts in case anyone was looking for book suggestions too!

I started January off strong and finished two books - Mud Season by Ellen Stimson and Someday, Someday, Maybe: A Novel by Lauren Graham.

Mud Season by Ellen Stimson (3/5)

This story starts when Ellen Stimson and her husband fall in love with the state of Vermont and decide to move there from the Midwest.  I have never been to Vermont but the way she describes it, I can see how they fell in love with it.  While there they remodel an old farm house, decide to buy the local country store, and get some sheep and chickens.  It was a interesting story to follow their adventures, and I liked how real the author is.  Sometimes I did get a little frustrated with the decisions she made, but I'm a planner and you can totally get that she is a free-spirit.  It is a light and interesting read, I'm going to be passing this one along to share with my mom.

Someday, Someday Maybe: A Novel by Lauren Graham (4/5)

This book I found on my Kindle!  Sometimes at work I hear about books I want to read, so I'll buy them and then forget they are on my Kindle at home.  So it was like a little prize for me when I found it on there!  This book is by Lauren Graham, and the name was familiar to me but I wasn't sure where I knew her from.  So I looked her up and she was on Gilmore Girls!  And now Parenthood!

Franny Banks is an aspiring actress in New York who has given herself a timeline for her 'big break' before she decides it might not happen and return home to her fiance and live a 'regular life'.  This is her last year before that deadline and despite a commercial and a few odds & ends, she hasn't gotten a lot of gigs and is still waitressing to make ends meet.  She has two roommates who are also each trying to get into the entertainment business as well.  I really enjoyed learning more about show business, and the process of going on auditions and getting an agent.  It was fun to here more about how that works, especially from someone who I'm guessing wrote from her own experiences.  

Overall I enjoyed both of the books that I read this month.  I've got a couple new books for February already, and will share my thoughts! One I read about online and its an older book, but the review I read said it changed her life. So that sounds like a must read.  I would love other suggestions if you read something lately (or a while ago) that you want to share!

2 comments:

  1. Me pasa como a ti, me encanta ver blogs y me puedo pasar horas. Pero en la noche leo en la cama, soy devoradora de libros y escritora frustrada. Muy lindo su blog.
    Saludos desde Chile
    Maru
    http://lulurulitos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey a friend of mine mentioned your blog to me and told me you reviewed Mud. I am so glad it made you laugh. And you are right. I am one lousy planner. But we got a bunch of funny stories out of it anyway. Thanks for reading! E

    ReplyDelete