05 August 2014

Trip to the North Shore & July Reading Recap

This year for our Wedding Anniversary we went up to the North Shore of Lake Superior.  It was beautiful weather and we had an amazing time!  One of our favorite parts of the trip was seeing the giant ships coming into to Duluth and Twin Harbors.

In Duluth we headed to Canal Park to see if there were any ships coming in.  We timed it just about perfect.  There were tons of cars & people around and we noticed that the lift bridge was up.  The Roger Blough was coming into to port!


We learned from Duluth Shipping News she was built in 1972 and is 858 feet long.  Does anyone else think its interesting that most ships are named after men, but referred to as ladies?? Anyway, out on the pier we were sooo close to her coming in and going under the lift bridge. Great start to our trip!


As we worked our way north, our next stop was Split Rock Lighthouse.  I had gone here with my family when I was young, so it was a really good experience to share with my husband as well.  We had another beautiful/sunny day.

Easy to see where the lighthouse gets its name!


While there, we got to tour the lighthouse as well as the grounds and the light-keeper's homes.  There is also a museum and gift shop where we learned about the multiple shipwrecks in November 1905 which lead to its construction.  And after seeing the huge freighters up close in person, its hard to fathom them running into the rocky shoreline and sinking.  Which leads me to my July Reading Recap...

Steel on the Bottom by Frederick Stonehouse (5/5)



I picked up this book to learn more about Great Lakes Shipwrecks and with eight different stories it was a good choice!  It feels kind of morbid to be excited about a shipwreck book, but I found each of the stories fascinating.  Have you seen the quotes on Pinterest about having a "book hangover" and needing time before reading the next book?  That's how I felt about Steel on the Bottom.  Only it was after each chapter.  After reading about each wreck, the people involved, how everything went down, and coast guard conclusions on how they could have been prevented, I needed time to digest.  I wanted to give each story my full attention, so it took me a couple weeks to finish the book.  When I only had one more chapter to read, I kept putting it off. I didn't want the book to end.  I think I have found a new genre of books for me, this book had me thoroughly immersed . If you ever get a chance to see these great ships in person, you've gotta do it.  Even if you don't think you'd be interested, just do it.  Their size and how they maneuver is remarkable.  And even if you don't see them in person, I recommend the book whole-hardheartedly.  You won't be disappointed!


3 comments:

  1. Great Lakes---!!! Choir-singing-"AHHH-lelujah!" sound in my head. In all the bodies of water I have seen (a fair number) these are my heart. From the first sighting I had of Lake Superior, I fell hook, line and sinker (ha, pun not originally intended) for them. I now live on the shore of Lake Erie. Last Fall I went to a presentation at our library on shipwrecks of Lake Erie, fantastic and mesmerizing. I bought his book, which I have only scanned through(I have SO MANY to read...). I will definitely look for this one you've mentioned. Now to check out your pet on quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - We currently have the Mississagi in our harbour here, a block from our house, built in 1943. Huge girl this one, 620 feet, but not as huge as the Roger Blough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great time! Great minds and all... :-) I will definitely check into that book. Sounds really interesting. Gordon Lightfoot's rendition of 'The Edmund Fitzgerald' still haunts my mind.

    ReplyDelete